You can define the workflows that are applied to all pages and blog posts in the space, or create workflow templates (templates for sequences of states, approvals, tasks and custom triggers) that you want to be available for use on single pages.
Who can manage workflows?
Only Space and Confluence Administrators can manage workflows.
- Space administrators can link global workflow templates to their space, copy global templates to create local modifications, or import templates
- Confluence administrators can add, remove or edit global workflow templates.
Global Workflow Templates
- Go to the Confluence administration console
- Click the Workflows menu item.
- Click Space Tools.
- Select Workflows in the Space Tools navigation bar.
The Workflows defined here will apply to all pages in the space unless they have a label or page type restriction.
Space workflows can have two different scopes:
- Global Scope where the workflow is linked directly with the global template and changes made to the global template will be reflected in the space workflow.
- Space Scope where the workflow is limited to that space only and any changes made will only apply to this space.
The workflows defined here are the templates that can be selected to be added to individual pages. Once a template is applied to a page updates can be made locally at the page level, but changes in the workflow template do not apply to pages that previously had that template applied.
Page workflows are a great way to test out new workflows but we recommend using space wide workflows in most cases.
Clearing Workflows and History
You can edit existing space workflows without affecting the current state of pages in the space. For example, if you add a new state, or tweak the default assignees of an approval.
Removing a workflow
Removing a workflow does not clear the state information from each page. If you add a new workflow some pages may have existing states, use the Initialize Space or Clear History options to reset the space.
Clear Workflow History
If you are experimenting with a workflow or want to reset everything in a space you can use the clear history option to clear the workflow history from every page. (This option also clears any ad hoc page workflows.) If you want to reset the sate of every page but keep the previous history use the Initialize Space option.