You will need global administrator permission to Install the app from the Atlassian Marketplace.
Once installed, you will then need to set the global configuration for the app to
- define the user permissions for the app
- define the spaces the app can publish
- define content properties that can be published including the content label that can be used by the space admin to sync content
Secondly, a space administrator configures
- the link between the space for the content to be published and the space for the draft content
- the content and properties to be published or copied e.g. pages, blog post or both and how they are published
If Comala Document Management app is installed and applied to the space content the space administrator can also choose to only publish content that is in the workflow final state.
A global administrator will need to configure
- the permissions for the user group who can publish and copy the content
- if required, set the spaces that can be published
- any prefixes for content properties such as metadata that can be published
- a content label that can be optionally used by space admins for publishing
Global permissions for the app
As a global administrator you can set the Confluence user groups who are allowed to publish or copy content to a published space.
These are set in the global configuration for the app
- users who can publish must be a member of the Confluence user group added to the app Publishers Group
- users who can publish must be a member of the Confluence user group added to the app Copiers Group
The default group for each of these is
confluence-adminstrators. Space administrators and other users who you want to publish or copy content must be a member of the Confluence user group added to each of the global permission groups.
On install ANY space can be published. You can set the spaces that can be published by adding one or more
Global admins can also
- set the prefixes for content properties to be published or copied. The default prefixes are
- set the label that space admins can optionally use to ignore or publish space content. The default label value is syncme.
A space admin will need to
- link the draft and published spaces
- configure the type of content and content properties to be published
- set the options for publishing content e.g. allow single page publishing, publish content with the sync label set by global admin
Only a user who has space admin permission in both the draft space and the published space can publish the whole space.
The user must also be a member of the Confluence group added to the app global configuration Publishers Group.
Link the draft and published spaces
As the space administrator you must link your draft and published spaces using the dropdown menu in the space tools Publishing dashboard
Before choosing the space to be linked, you must first either
- set the current space as the published space and link to a draft space
- set the current space and link to a published space
Choose a space to be the linked space in the dropdown menu.
Once the spaces are linked you can
- Configure the content to be published
- View Changes that will be made when space is published
You will then need to perform an initial synchronization by choosing Publish.
Configure the space publishing options for content
In the Publishing screen you can Configure what to include when you publish your draft space content.
You can set publishing options to exclude pages or blog posts, clean up out-of-sync pages, or keep labels intact, among other options.
- change the target linked space using the dropdown menu
- enabling users to publish single pages using the Single Page Publish slider
For publishing actions you can use check buttons to configure the content to be published
- Content Options
- use and configure the use of the globally set label to determine the space content to publish
- enable/disable copying of page properties
- include/exclude labels
- copy page restrictions
- version comments
- override content in the selected target space (and do not retain page history)
- when publishing use modification date or publishing date in the target space
- Display Options
- display publishing status lozenge
- display draft watermark on draft space logo
- Space Publishing Options options when publishing from the space tools dashboard include
- publish pages, blog posts or space home page and any orphan pages in the draft space
- delete content in the published space that is not in the draft space
- only publish changed draft space content when publishing a whole space
- always publish content even if there are no updates in the draft space
- only publish content in a Comala workflow final state (when a Comala Document Management family app is applied) and publishing content on transition to the workflow final state
When Display Publishing Lozenge is checked a publishing status lozenge is added to content to easily identify the state of each draft and published page as NEW, OUT OF SYNC, or PUBLISHED.
You can make content changes in your draft space, then update the publish space all at once or one page at a time.
Publishing using the space tools publishing dashboard
Once you have configured the settings for publishing, choose the Publish button to publish the whole space content.
Publishing progress bar displays the progress and confirms completion.
If there are any errors in the publishing process these will be listed in this progress screen.
The last whole space publish synchronisation is displayed in the space tools Publishing dashboard.
Viewing out of sync content
Priro to publishing the View Changes option button will display any content that is out of synchronization between the draft and published space.
Filter buttons allow you choose the date range for out of sync content, publishing status of content and user who last updated the content.
Toggle between the target and published space to view the content in that space that is out of sync.
The report will list new or edited content since the last Publish action within the set date filters.
If content is not shown as expected check these filters
Content may also be listed due to publishing configuration setting - for example, NOT IN DRAFT changes lozenge in the published space may be due to checked configuration setting Ignore all the top level pages
If you publish a page who’s parent does not exist, it is published to the root of the published space and becomes an orphan in the published space.
Comala Publishing is not designed to publish a page that is the child of the draft space homepage to be a child of another space with a different name for the homepage.
When first publishing a space configuring publishing to delete content added in the published space will remove the published space home page and replace it with a copy of the draft space home page and set this page as the published space home page
Copy a space
With Comala Publishing, you can also copy one space to another to replicate content. Use this option to copy a space as it exists at a point in time.
The Copy options
- target space is configured separately to the publishing target space
- settings for content to be copied are set separately to the publishing settings
To copy a space, users must be a member of the Confluence group added to the app global configuration Copiers Group.